Thursday, December 15, 2022

Day Twelve (Part One) - Gimli Seawall

I was up early and it was breakfast time.  The previous night when I filled the car with gas I asked the young guys working there if they knew of a good breakfast restaurant in town.  Both recommended the diner out on the highway.  So, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, I was off for the most important meal of the day.  Pork sausages, eggs, toast and hash browns sounded like an excellent way to start the day.  Friendly staff and patrons, a little chit-chat and good food.  Back at the hotel I checked some research, packed up my stuff and was on my way.  The next four hours was a leisurely drive through the countryside visiting numerous old churches and cemeteries.       

It was mid-afternoon of Day Twelve that I finally reached my destination: Gimli.

Checked into the big hotel on the beach then grabbed my camera and was out the door for a walk along the seawall.  The sight of all that water was captivating to say the least.  The angular structure of the seawall tends toward a modern minimalist photography style that I enjoy...everything is made up of angles and converging lines. 












The concrete seawall is a little over a thousand feet long and incorporates two distinct angles along the way.   A pile of large boulders at the end is where the seawall turns into a stone pier that continues for another five or six hundred feet in a loose J-shape.  The combined length of the seawall and pier is just under one-third of a mile.

More tomorrow.  

Photographed in Gimli, Manitoba on October 19, 2022.

2 comments:

  1. You know, in Nordic mythology, "Gimli" is the "heaven on earth" established after Ragnarok, the downfall of the gods. Clearly the Icelandic settlers of Gimli figured they'd reached it on the shores of Lake Winnipeg!

    ReplyDelete