Wednesday, December 14, 2022

Day Eleven - Dancing Forever

I stopped to photograph many places during the day but this headstone was easily the highlight of the day.  



What a beautiful epitaph. 

First rays of sunlight...my first thought upon opening my eyes was "coffee."  On with some clothes, out the door and down the stairs to the lobby where there is always fresh hot coffee.  Over the past few months I've become friendly with the receptionist here and as we have a shared interest in gardening there's always lots to talk about.  Coffee and chat...nice way to start the morning.

The weather report for Gimli and area had improved considerably over the past twelve hours so after consulting a map my destination for the day was decided...I was off to Arborg (a small town about half an hour northwest of Gimli).  After a quick phone call to order a breakfast sandwich I packed up the car, thanked everyone for a pleasant stay and headed downtown.  After picking up my takeout order I drove over to the beautiful old Ukrainian Catholic Church of the Resurrection.  Over the past few months it's become a tradition to park by the church for breakfast.  There's no particular reason I do it...I just enjoy the ambiance.  

With my belly full and a hot cup of coffee in the cupholder I was on the road.  Lots of stops for old churches and even more cemeteries over the course of the day...all of which were new to me.  Made it to Arborg by mid-afternoon and after checking into the hotel went to visit the Arborg Heritage Village.  While walking through the exceptional collection of vintage buildings I met a lady who was out walking a border collie.  We had quite a nice chat, solved all the world's problems and even more importantly, were both very happy that the sun was shining and the sky was blue.  By the time I made it back to the hotel is was time for a nap.  Didn't wake up until it was almost dark and lucky for me there was a Chinese food restaurant just a few blocks up the street from the hotel.  Stopped at the hotel bar for a beer then up to my room to make a few phone calls and look through the photos from the day...it had been both an enjoyable and productive day on the road.       

Photographed at Poplarfield Community Cemetery near Poplarfield, Manitoba on October 18, 2022.

4 comments:

  1. Yes, what a joyous epitaph and gravestone photo! I've been to Arborg, very pretty little place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debra for your appreciation. Visiting Arborg was a treat!

      Delete
  2. What a lovely gravestone! The joy on his face as he looks into her eyes - beautiful to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MA. This was one of the most beautiful and evocative headstones I've seen in my travels.

      Delete