Wednesday, December 07, 2022

Day Eight - Pipestone Creek Bridge

Found this scenic little spot late in the afternoon of Day Eight.


Morning...
Up early and after  checking the weather forecasts near and far my destination for the day quickly became clear...off to Brandon where the weatherman promised mild fall weather.  But first I needed a hearty breakfast so back to what had become my "go to" restaurant in Yorkton.  I love the "build your own omelette" choice available on many breakfast menus...omelettes are always a good choice in my world.



Back at the motel that couch looked awfully inviting (again) but decided to pack up my stuff and hit the road instead.  I had several sites marked for visits between Yorkton and Brandon, some of which I'd seen before and others not, so I chose those that would be new to me along with a few return visits to favourites.



Already past midday...
Once on the road it's easy to lose track of time while weaving through the countryside visiting historic schools, churches and cemeteries and before I knew it, it was already past 3:00 p.m. and lunch was long overdue.  A quick search for restaurants nearby gave me a hit in the town of Wapella which was only about twenty minutes away.  It was a Saturday and the place was packed with young teenagers.  Do you remember how loud a group of young teenagers can be?  I was very quickly reminded so retreated to a table in the quietest corner to enjoy a classic Denver sandwich...but you know, that said, kids need to have their fun and I wish them the best.  As for me, good diner food just hit the spot on a cool October day.  




Was soon back in the car and in less than half an hour spotted the one-arch bowstring bridge you see here.  The valley setting with an array of fall colours, the creek and the bridge all made for a captivating sight to say the least.  This was a lucky find.  




A note: The road is not closed even though there is a sign that says just that.  (I think the sign is there for legal liability concerns..."we're not responsible if the bridge falls into the creek while you're crossing it" and all that.)  My guess is the farmers in the area are the only ones who use it on any regular basis.  I drove across it and it worked just fine! 



Evening...
Made it to Brandon just before dark.  After checking into a motel I went to an all-you-can-eat sushi place for a late supper...great food that just kept coming.  By the time I finished it was late and I was too tired to go visit my sister...I'd call her from the road tomorrow, maybe we could get together for supper the next day.

Photographed north of Langbank, Saskatchewan on October 15, 2022.

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Debra. Chance encounters like this one often make my day on a road trip.

      Delete
  2. I think you visited that bridge at the absolute best time of year. It looks beautiful surrounded by the fall colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too. But, I'll bet it would look pretty nice in late spring when the orange and yellow hues have turned to green.

      Delete
  3. Love these concrete arch bridges. I think the chances of it collapsing are pretty remote. They are built to last.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always a thrill running across one of these old bowstring bridges...especially when it stands in such a scenic landscape.

      Delete