Thursday, December 01, 2022

Day Six - Holy Trinity at Grifton

There's an excellent breakfast restaurant on Main Street where, after ordering eggs and toast, I checked the weather forecast.  My hopes of arriving in Gimli later that day were soon dashed...Gimli was experiencing rain and or snow, high winds and freezing temperatures for the next few days.  Well, that wasn't going to work for me so, after checking the forecasts in the surrounding area, my new destination for the day was Yorkton, Saskatchewan where it looked like the weather would be considerably more pleasant .  Disappointment of not being able to visit Gimli aside...I always enjoy a trip to Yorkton; many of my favourite destinations are nearby.  

And along the way...


...I stopped at one of the most dramatic and austere Ukrainian churches I've had the pleasure to visit.


An imposing structure where a little colour...


...goes a long way.


The view from the back...


...and the view from the front.


The graveyard is south of the church where...


...old fashioned cast concrete headstones dominate the cemetery.  The small white crosses mark "unknown" graves.  


The bell tower as seen from behind a collection of both new and old headstones.  The mostly obscured and weathered building behind and to the right of the bell tower was the Parish Hall. 


The miniature replica of the church in the foreground accommodates the guest book.  Don't forget to record your visit for posterity.

After an enjoyable day zig-zagging through the countryside revisiting several of my favourite spots I was off to Yorkton for the night.  I'd booked a room at a nice motel (which would become my home away from home for the next couple of days).  I'd stopped in Roblin for war won ton soup in the early afternoon but was now hankering for something more substantial...a rib-eye steak supper sounded like just the thing.  I asked the desk clerk for a recommendation and she said the "best place in town" was only a short walk from the motel...and she was right.  

Photographed at Grifton, Manitoba on October 13, 2022.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting way to provide a guest book - too bad more churches (and any old buildings) wouldn't have that available.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many of the churches, cemeteries and schools that I've visited have guest books but it's becoming a rarer sight.

      Delete