Sunday, December 04, 2022

Day Seven - Holy Trinity in Canora


This lovely church is the central feature of the Ukrainian Orthodox Heritage Church Park of Hope in Canora, Saskatchewan.  Whenever I'm staying in Yorkton I do my best to drive the short distance north to visit this Byzantine-styled church attractively painted pure white with pale azure blue trim.  It is adorned with three magnificent domes incorporating two different diamond designs and the trapezoidal-shaped windows are inset with stained, frosted and clear glass.  The design elements combine to give the church a definite "old world" presence.    


The church faces west and there are many tall trees close around it as well as a hedge and a few large lilac bushes (making it a bit of a challenge to photograph).  The best time to get photos is late in the day according to the season (but not too late as to cause shadows over the front of the church).  These shots were taken in the early evening and highlight the facade of the building along with the dazzling domes.  


As you can see here, the southern side of the church had already fallen into deep shadow but the silver domes coruscate in the evening light.


The view from the street.

The adjoining park area is small but there's plenty of room to have a summer picnic in the shade of the big old trees...or maybe build a snowman in the winter (in that case, don't forget to bring along a thermos full of hot chocolate and some shortbread cookies). 

Earlier in the day...
I went down to the breakfast room around 8:30 a.m., collected a light meal and took it back to my room.  After eating I decided to lay down on the couch for a minute....just for a minute.  Well, I'm glad I'd left the "do not disturb" sign on the door handle because I didn't wake up until past noon...sometimes a three hour nap is just what the doctor ordered, so to speak.  Anyway, even with that late start I still saw several of my favourite sites and even found a few new ones before sunset.  Holy Trinity in Canora was just the best ending for my day trip.  

Then it was back to Yorkton and a return to the same restaurant as the night before...this time for a chicken Caesar salad.  Not having a schedule to follow is the most enjoyable way to travel.

Holy Trinity Ukrainian Orthodox Heritage Church was photographed on October 14, 2022.

4 comments:

  1. Great info and beautiful church. I don't know how I kept missing taking pictures of this church - it is on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The church domes are particularly spectacular in that lighting. Good timing on your part. I love that white and blue combo too.

    ReplyDelete