Wednesday, December 21, 2022

Day Fourteen - Hecla Island

Was packed and ready to go soon after 9:00 a.m. the next morning.  I had listened to the weather report the previous evening and it sounded like winter was heading my way so it was time to head back to southeastern Alberta.  But before that I wanted to make a short detour to Hecla Island.  And even before that I needed a hearty breakfast so I walked the few blocks to the cafe in the old Gimli Hotel where a banner outside the front door declared: home cooked meals.  A Denver omelette sounded like the perfect way to start the day.

After a hearty and delicious breakfast I was on my way to Hecla Island.  Most likely the biggest difference between Hecla Island now and fifty years ago is the causeway.  Many years ago you needed to ride the ferry across to the island but now all you need to do is hop in your car and drive there.  Even with the new ease of travel, the island still seems to be a pretty laid back place.  I didn't make it up to the northeastern tip of the island but that's just the perfect reason for a return visit.  Enjoy the photos!












By the time I finished my tour of the island it was almost 2:00 p.m. and the closest town with restaurants was Riverton, about twenty minutes away.  As it turned out there were two restaurants side-by-side on Main Street...hmmm...toss a coin?  Better yet, ask that couple who were walking by on the street.  Once they knew I wanted fish and chips they both turned and pointed to the same place with a nod of their heads.

The waitress took my order almost as soon as I sat down and in no time I was eating the best fish and chips I'd had in years.  The fish was yellow pickerel (also known as walleye) and had been caught in the lake just that morning.  It was so good in fact I ordered one more piece...and they didn't even charge me extra for it!  A rare event like that calls for nice big tips for both the waitress and the cook.

Then it was onward to Dauphin and my home away from home at the motel there.  Had a nice visit with the desk clerk and after checking into my room went out for spaghetti and meat balls.  The night air had a definite nip to it.      

Photographed in Hecla-Grindstone Park and The Village of Hecla on Hecla Island, Manitoba on October 21, 2022.

4 comments:

  1. Mmmmmmmm, fresh caught pickerel! The food of the gods! I never visited Hecla Island, alas. Maybe someday?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pickerel is definitely food of the gods!

      I enjoyed my brief visit to Hecla Island...maybe next year I can stay for a day or two.

      Delete
  2. Fresh caught fish - what could be better than that. Resident Chef comes from a family of hobby fishermen but hasn't fished for years. I rather miss the fresh fish!

    ReplyDelete