Thursday, December 22, 2022

Day Fifteen - Sad Day

My plan to drive from Dauphin to Moose Jaw on Day Fifteen included a short visit with a farmer I had met near Dauphin about three months previous as well as a couple of detours to see a few favourite country churches.  Once I'd paid for the room and said good-bye to the receptionist I was on my way downtown to pick up a breakfast sandwich then park in my usual spot at the church to eat.  

I had met Ernie via his son while I was photographing the church and cemetery near the family farm.  He showed me around the beautiful Saints Peter and Paul Ukrainian Orothodox Church that he planned to fully restore.  At that time he had just come home from the hospital and was somewhat frail, he needed his strength so we kept the visit short.  I'd promised to visit again before winter so I drove out to his farm near Keld.

Not far from the farm I met his daughter and her husband who were transporting horses back to their ranch.  She informed me that Ernie was not doing so well and that if I wanted to see him I should do so now but to keep it brief.  Ernie's wife answered the door...she looked worried and tired.  I did my best to put on a brave face when Ernie came into the room...he was not looking well at all so we spoke only for a few minutes...our words seemed to just hang in the air.  Saying our goodbyes and blessings I took my leave.  If ever a miracle was needed it was now.

Back in the car I quickly realized I needed to collect my thoughts so I pulled off the road at the cemetery just down the road from Ernie's farm just to sit for awhile.

Okay...time to go. 




Drove straight through to Rhein, Saskatchewan where I paid a lengthy visit to Kaplychka.  There was a bit of a breeze but as the grounds are completely surrounded by trees it was very pleasant within the churchyard....nice place to contemplate life and death and everything that happens in between.  




Then I drove directly to Melville, Saskatchewan to snap a few photos of the stately Byzantine church of Saint Mary's...always an agreeable sight, uplifting.

I was soon back on the road and on the way to Moose Jaw.  Along the way I called my brother in Regina with an invitation for supper where we both had steaks and did some catching up.  Back at the motel I checked the weather forecast...snow, and lots of it, was coming my way.     
 
Kaplychka (Holy Ascension Orthodox Chapel and Cemetery) was photographed near Rhein, Saskatchewan and Saint Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Church was photographed in Melville, Saskatchewan on October 22, 2022.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It was a sad day indeed. One of those things that can throw a person off, if you know what I mean.

      Delete
  2. I'm sure Ernie was glad that you came to see him, if only for a short visit. Too many people tend to avoid visiting when someone isn't well and then live to regret it.
    That church is certainly a showpiece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was glad I could visit him if only for a short while. He is in my prayers.

      Delete