Tuesday, December 13, 2022

Day Ten - Saint John the Baptist at Rackham

Woke up early enough to grab a bite in the breakfast room at the hotel.  Amongst the choices were some great little wraps with ham, egg, cheese and chopped green onions and red bell peppers.  A great way to start the day.

The weatherman promised in just another day or two the stormy conditions around Gimli would subside.  Okay Mister Weatherman, I'll hold you to it!  Meanwhile I'd go visit my sister before setting out for the day.  We had a nice time looking through some old photographs then after a bowl of soup and saying our goodbyes I was on my way to Dauphin via Riding Mountain National Park.  It was already early afternoon...time flies.

South of the park were a few places I wanted to see...one of them being Saint John the Baptist Ukrainian Catholic Cemetery.  It's located on a treed hillside at the end of a trail.  I'd stopped here about three months earlier but wanted to see it again once fall had set in.

An ornate crucifix stands between the front gate and the graves.

Fallen aspen leaves scattered over the graves.

The cemetery was established in 1932, is still maintained and in active use.

Two graves stand alone in the northwest corner...

.. along the far edge of the cemetery.

A shot of the crucifix from near the graves.  

This would be a beautiful spot for a summer picnic.

Back to the car and on the road again.  The tree-lined highway through the park is a constant series of twists and turns with a speed limit of only 80 km/h with no passing allowed...saw a black bear and some white-tailed deer along the way.

Upon arrival at the motel in Dauphin my room was ready...my "home away from home" for the night.  I like to fill the car with gas at the end of each day (one less thing to do in the morning) so I did just that then went downtown for a classic Rueben sandwich.        

Photographed near Rackham, Manitoba on October 17, 2022.

2 comments:

  1. Your trip has been sounding pretty idyllic. I've enjoyed the scenery but also the menu as you travel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you MA. It was a well deserved road trip after the work season. Hope I can make another next year.

      Delete