Tuesday, March 07, 2023

County of Forty Mile Sign


This impressive sign stands west of Seven Persons, Alberta along the Crowsnest Highway (Alberta Highway 3).  I've always been a fan of these big chunky wooden signs and the pronghorn logo is a nice tip of the hat to the abundant wildlife in the area.

Within the boundaries of the County of Forty Mile are Red Rock Coulee, Writing On Stone Provincial Park, Milk River Canyon, Etzikom Windmill Museum, several infamous towns and hamlets such as Manyberries, Nemiskam (or is that Nemiscam?) and Orion, a reservoir named Rattlesnake Lake, lots of wide open country and more.  Lots of cemeteries too.

It also has a port of entry named Aden that has the distinction of being the least used border crossing in all of the U.S.A.; less than 1200 crossings each year.

Let me digress for a moment...I'd been down in Montana for a few days and when looking on a map for a different route home I discovered the Aden border crossing.  So, after filling up with gas in Chester, Montana I headed north towards the border.  The well maintained gravel road soon became "the middle of nowhere" as it passed through a very isolated part of the American plains...gave a whole new meaning to the phrase "off the beaten track."  That said, the trip went well and when I reached the border crossing all the Canadian border guards rushed out to greet me.  I wasn't sure what to make of it until they let me know I was the first "new guy to cross the border in months."  Well, it made my day too!  Almost wished I'd had a bottle of champagne to give them for the celebration.  (Just a note, the Aden border crossing is mainly used by farmers in the area so a "new guy" crossing the border was a treat I'm sure.)  Now, back to Alberta and the County of Forty Mile... 

The southern side of the county offers some of the best views of the Sweet Grass Hills (which are just across the border in Montana) to be seen from Alberta...they are an especially beautiful sight at sunrise and sunset.

This sign is an invitation to all these things.  When you see it, turn south to take in all the sights of the county.  


Hope you enjoyed.

Photographed near Seven Persons, Alberta on August 5, 2017.

6 comments:

  1. Great narrative. That is a very interesting area with lots to see. I wasn't aware of the Aden border crossing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dale. I've driven countless enjoyable miles through the county over the years. I'm not so sure the Aden border crossing would be as friendly and easy-going these days but it was a real treat at the time.

      Delete
  2. I've been to Writing-on-Stone provincial park and Milk River, and I've viewed the Sweetgrass Hills across the border. I didn't know the County was called Forty Mile, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thanks Debra. Lots to see in the County of Forty Mile. There are a few favourite spots I'd like to revisit in the near future.

      Delete
  3. Great story about the border crossing. I can see why there would be great excitement when you arrived, if only from the standpoint of giving them something to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm sure they have lots to do...board games, video games, tv shows, internet seaches. :-)

      Delete