Sunday, March 19, 2023

(More of) The Pink Church


Some photos of the The Pink Church have been previously posted to this blog but here is a deservingly more expansive view of both the church and cemetery.



On the north side of Fort Belknap Reservation, Montana stands Sacred Heart Catholic Church and Cemetery.  The church is known locally as The Pink Church.







The church and cemetery were established by Jesuit Priests in 1924.  Even though the church closed in the 1960's, the cemetery is still used to this day.  








I like the simple and often homemade memorials on the graves.  It's uplifting to see that those buried here are still remembered by their loved ones.  This is a beautiful place and the trip here is well worth it.


My visit reminded me of the adobe churches I saw some years ago in the southwestern U.S.A.  It would be right at home in southern New Mexico or Arizona.  The cemetery made me think of those I had seen in northern Mexico and it would feel right at home there.    

Photographed near Harlem, Montana on September 1, 2017.

4 comments:

  1. Fine photos..took me back years when I visited there tks
    Sie rises above the roadway..walking amongst graves..brings great sadness...so much heartache..haunting images

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm curious - does the pink colour come from paint or whatever building material they used? Either way, it's impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looked like the stucco had been "washed" with the pink colour. Like a "white-wash" only in pink.

      Delete