Thursday, March 09, 2023

Red Rock Coulee


Some late summer fun a few years ago.  Since I'm my own boss I decided to give myself the afternoon off and take a drive in the country.  A visit to Red Rock Coulee was long overdue...it's always a captivating  and wondrous experience to walk amongst the ancient boulders.  Enjoy!












A word of caution: the coulee is home to several wild animals including scorpions and rattlesnakes so keep an eye out for them during your visit.  I've nearly stepped on a rattler more than once but thanks to its rattle I got out of the way in time.  The rattlers blend seamlessly into the landscape and are difficult to spot so be vigilant.  And, if you pick up a rock there may be a scorpion beneath it so be prepared.  

All that said, Red Rock Coulee is a wonderful natural area well worth visiting.  Nature is often a little more than what one bargained for...and for me, that's a good thing.   

Photographed north of Etzikom Alberta on September 20, 2017.

4 comments:

  1. I've heard of rattlesnakes in southern Alberta and was warned about them hiding among the hoodoos of Writing-on-Stone provincial park. But Alberta has scorpions too? Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the only spot I've seen in Alberta with scorpions. They're smallish and translucent and hide underneath rocks. Pick up a rock and they quickly dash off to hide under another.

      Delete
  2. Interesting to see how the rock has split (4th image from the bottom). Looks like a giant hamburger bun! Don't think I would be visiting there because...well...rattlers AND scorpions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One needs to be alert when hiking about in southern Alberta.

      Delete