Tuesday, October 04, 2022

Spruce Coulee

Early evening at Spruce Coulee Reservoir in the Cypress Hills of Alberta.




Love the reflections, which reminds me...

Many years ago I would occasionally take a day off from what was then a very hectic gardening and landscaping schedule and camp out at Spruce Coulee.  What made it attractive to me was there were no RV's, camper trailers or motor boats allowed, a rule that still applies to this day.  So if you wanted to spend the night you needed whatever would make your outdoor stay a pleasant experience (just as long as it didn't make any noise).

One warm night I ventured out onto the reservoir in my inflatable dinghy around midnight.  Once I'd paddled to the centre of the lake I laid down with my head resting on the front edge of the dinghy and looked a little forward and a little upwards.  The star filled sky reflected on the surface of the water created a "floating in mid air" experience that was second to none. One of those things that I will remember forever.

Photographed on October 3, 2022.

7 comments:

  1. That sounds like a true moment of spiritual oneness with the universe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the peace and quiet of Spruce Coulee as well as the beautiful surroundings. I camped there a few times with my tent and canoe when I lived in Medicine Hat. Also enjoyed hearing the coyotes at night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The coyotes with their chorus always add a special flavour to the evening. Daisy likes them too.

      Delete
  3. Looks like an amazing place and I love your memory of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spruce Coulee is simply the best. Floating amongst the stars is a highly recommended experience.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a "heavenly" experience!

    ReplyDelete