Sunday, October 09, 2022

Pansy


Late last fall I was researching south-central Manitoba when I came across a place named "Pansy."  I don't think it was ever really a town per se...most likely just a place for people to pick up their mail.  But me being a gardener, well, I simply had to see a place with such a wonderfully floral name. 


This little church and cemetery are the main feature.    



The cemetery has an abundance of rose and red coloured headstones...



...and the grounds are well kept by two brothers who live nearby.


Just as I was getting back into the car one of said brothers comes tearing up on an all terrain vehicle and introduces himself.  Since I help take care of a little church in the Cypress Hills of Alberta we had some thoughts and insights (as well as a few rants) to share.  After our brief chat we bid each other adieu, he on his was home and me back to the motel just a half hour north in Steinbach.  


So far so good, all is well in Pansy.   

Saint Peter and Saint Paul Ukrainian Catholic Church and Cemetery was photographed at Pansy, Manitoba on August 20, 2022.

4 comments:

  1. Yes, that church and cemetery grounds are beautifully maintained! Nice to see. I've never heard of Pansy, although I've been to Steinbach many times. There's a great "Mennonite Village" museum there that's well worth visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice little gem. I like the red tombstones interspered with the more-usual white.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's unusual but also a special treat to see so many of the rose and red coloured headstones in a small country cemetery.

      Delete