Sunday, October 03, 2021

святий параскевія (у вересні)


Saint Paraskevia (in September).  A tiny church near Cossack, Alberta.


Formally known as Saint Paraskevia Ukrainian Catholic Church and Cemetery.


The wrought iron cross up top.


The openings on the bell tower are covered when not in use.


It was a beautiful fall afternoon at Saint Paraskevia.


The cemetery is large for such a small church.


The grounds are well kept and very inviting.

In winter it looks like this: святий параскевія

Photographed on September 20, 2021.

11 comments:

  1. Interesting to see the Muslim Crescent below the Cross which has a significance all of its own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have recently talked about this with a few people involved with the Orthodox church and they helped immensely in furthering my education on the matter. It is now my understanding that the crescent moon is an ancient symbol of "royal power" that has been used for centuries as a decoration by the Orthodox church and does not in any way represent victory over the Muslims (as is often thought to be the case).

      Delete
    2. I have not been able to authenticate to my satisfaction the facts in this case. Interesting that this crescent is on a Catholic church, not an Orthodox one.

      Delete
    3. I've seen the crescent moon used on both Catholic and Orthodox churches. May "Eastern European churches" is the phrase I should have used.

      Delete
    4. Of the approximately 240 Ukrainian churches I have photographed in AB/SK, I found 12 crescents on Catholic churches and only one on an Orthodox church. You can tell I haven't got much else to do!!

      Delete
    5. Hmmm...you need to get out more often. :-)

      Delete
  2. This one is a rather different colour - at least I think so. Beautiful little church.

    ReplyDelete