Thursday, November 28, 2019

Saint Laurence Anglican Church



Saint Laurence Anglican Church is in the village of Monitor, Alberta.  This is the view from the rear swinging-doors towards the altar.


And this is the view from front to back.


Beautiful solid wooden beams and tongue-in-groove ceiling.


The arched stained glass window above the altar.  The inscription along the bottom reads: "to the glory of God and in loving memory of our pioneers."


The altar with its green and white draperies.


The baptismal font..."suffer the little children to come unto me."


The reverend's chambers.


The view from outside.


A German trench mortar mounted in front of the church.


Monitor and the surrounding area contributed a record amount to Victory Bond sales.



More views from outside.


The Celtic cross on the rear peak of the roof.

The church has never been locked since it was opened in 1915.  It is listed on the Alberta Register of Historic Places.  In my opinion, "It's a beauty!"

Photographed on November 15, 2018.

8 comments:

  1. You just taught me something. I have driven by this church a few times and stopped for the old post office, never the church. I learned to not pass by this next time. This is very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The interior is much like it would have been when it was built. Very little has changed over the years as far as I could tell.

      Delete
  2. Impressive stained glass once again - and an unusual shape I think. Beautiful ceiling as well. I don't suppose there are too many churches with trench mortar mounted outside either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen a few Anglican churches with the cross-braced ceilings. The window design is more-or-less the top part of a gothic arched window and is a beauty! This is the only church I've seen with a trench mortar on display. :-)

      Delete