Thursday, July 20, 2023

Saint Anthony's at Grosswerder

The kindness of strangers...


...I was taking some photos of Saint Anthony's Church when a couple in a pickup pulled over.  They were curious about who I was and what I was up to way out in the middle of nowhere (both of which are reasonable questions).  It didn't take long and we were chatting up a storm and having some laughs.  Deciding that I wasn't up to no good, they asked, "Would you like to see inside?"





Little seems to have changed inside the church in well over a century.  The addition of electricity is likely the most recent update.  The original altar, colour scheme, captivating set of Stations of the Cross and three bells in the bell tower all in tact.   








The sky was thick with smoke that day so the the outdoor photos aren't what I'd hoped for...my next visit will be on a "blue sky" day I'm sure.  There is a statue of Saint Anthony above the front door and a small outdoor altar in a protected corner of the churchyard.  The church is still in use.



The cemetery is on the opposite side of the road about a quarter of a mile west and is populated with many grave markers both old and new.  It's also still in use.

Thank you kind people for inviting me into your beautiful country church.  Making new friends is always a good thing...and thank you for brightening up a gloomy day.

Photographed near Grosswerder, Saskatchewan on July 15, 2023.

2 comments:

  1. I bet they didn't have to ask you twice if you wanted to see inside! Good for them for questioning your motives for being there, but a fortuitous meeting for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly didn't! One must respect the locals and their historic sites.

      Delete