Friday, July 28, 2023

At Daisy's House

At Daisy's house early one morning...




I'd just started pruning the big mayday tree when mama deer arrived with her twins.  As far as they were concerned, I was making breakfast easy for them...fresh cut leaves all over the lawn...how could things be better than that!  They kept an eye on me as they gobbled up the easy pickins...the little ones were a little timid but mom seemed to think everything was a-okay.  Most of the time they were barely six feet away from me.  The company of "wild" animals always adds a new perspective to the day.




Meanwhile, in the back alley, the resident pheasant was out with his young ones.  They're pretty shy and once they sense a human presence they quickly disappear into the tall grass on the hillside.

Some hours later, and after all the wildlife had departed...



Daisy and her buddy Jesse came home from the lake.  They kept me company while I pruned the old crabapple tree in the front yard.  Jesse likes to play fetch and really enjoyed the fresh crabapple branches to chew and chase.  He's a dog that needs to be kept busy...and it's pretty sweet when he wants to cuddle.  Daisy likes to hang out in the shade but often comes over to lick my ear and have a tummy rub...she's a sweetie.

Being the gardener definitely has its perks.   

Photographed in Medicine Hat, Alberta on July 25, 2023.

4 comments: