Friday, November 18, 2022

Day Two - Saint Volodymyr's Ukrainian Memorial Church


Day Two of my road trip started with me sleeping in late followed by a long leisurely breakfast.  After this slow but enjoyable start to my day I was on my way to Saskatoon (or thereabouts).


About two hours later I arrived at Saint Volodymyr's Ukrainian Memorial Church.  This outstanding structure is part of Saint Volodymyr's Ukrainian Catholic Eparchial Park.


I stopped here in mid-January of the previous year...but this time there was no snow making for a pleasant change in scenery.



Eye-catching details and views of this log church...built by true craftsmen in 1979.


The bell tower is home to a bell named "Andrew."


The walk back to the car...


...and the sign at the entrance to the park.

Saskatoon was only a half hour away but since I didn't want to deal with all that hustle and bustle I skirted around the city and checked into a motel north of town.  After a much needed nap I hopped into the car and explored the countryside until early evening.  Just as the sun was all but set I found what looked like a good restaurant and, as it turned out, was much better than that.  So far, luck was on my side....good food, good views and a comfy place to stay.  Can't ask for much more on a road trip, n'est pas?!       

Photographed near Vanscoy, Saskatchewan on October 9, 2022.

6 comments:

  1. This place of worship and tradition..must surely be a jewel to be preserved

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the church's 43rd anniversary this year and as far as I can tell, it looks as good as the day it was built. That's dedication (but you know all about that).

      Delete
  2. I'm sure it has a cultural significance but I noticed what appears to be a 9-patch quilt pattern repeated on the building. Perhaps that culture is what inspired the original quilt design.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my travels I've seen several Ukrainian churches decorated with diamond shapes and patterns. I don't know the significance of the design but it's attractive to say the very least. (I'm no authority but it very well may be the origin of quilt design.)

      Delete
  3. I have been here but there is no way I could have got photos as good as these.

    ReplyDelete