Friday, November 25, 2022

Day Four - The Road from Le Pas to Swan River

And the forecast was right...I woke up to the sound of rain on the roof.  I hadn't made any big plans the previous evening so a drive in the rain sounded like a nice way to spend the day.  After a bagel and coffee in the hotel breakfast room I collected my things and decided to head northeast to Le Pas, Manitoba. 


The highway out of town was smooth and wide...clear sailing.  Well, that is until it abruptly turned into a much narrower, wet gravel road where the traffic was mainly eighteen-wheelers and cargo trucks.  Wasn't too crazy about that but eventually the road switched back to pavement where it was, again, clear sailing all the way to Le Pas.

The rain stopped while I was enjoying a large bowl of seafood jambalaya in town but as soon as I was back on the road the heavens poured down once again and continued all the way to Swan River.  Once in town, and after a quick search for hotels on my phone, I decided to stay at a small single-story 1960's style motel (long and low and where the rooms open directly onto the parking lot...similar to the Bates Motel, only without Norman!).  After a short nap I had supper at a most excellent Chinese food restaurant.


Had only made a few stops along the way on Day Four but once I was just east of Nipawin, everything I saw from that point on was all new to me.  A change of scenery is always a good for the soul (even when it's raining).  


The attractive golden-coloured trees in the photos are larch trees.  They put on a spectacular show in the fall when their needles turn golden-yellow.    
      
Photographed between Le Pas and Swan River, Manitoba on October 11, 2022.

6 comments:

  1. Nice narrative. Looking forward to more of your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do people now routinely call it "Le Pas"? When I was a kid, it was "The Pas" -- kind of a franglais name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both "Le Las" and "The Pas" seem to be acceptable to most everyone. I was first introduced to it as "Le Pas" in grade school.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for identifying the trees because I was wondering what they are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fairly common for people in the city to drive out into the countryside to see the larch trees turn colour in the show. It really is worth the drive.

      Delete