Monday, November 28, 2022

Day Five - Sclater

The rain had stopped overnight but looking out the motel window the sky was still gray and overcast.  The air was damp and cool as I packed up and drove to a nearby restaurant for breakfast.  A western omelette seemed the perfect way to start the day (which turned out to be true).  By the time I finished eating and having a chat with the folks at the table next to mine it was already late morning.

I knew I wasn't going to make it any great distance that day so decided I'd be happy to reach Dauphin before dark with, of course, several stops for old churches and cemeteries along the way.


Just past noon I turned off the highway in the direction of Sclater.  The tree-lined road had several curves and about a quarter mile around the last one I could see the peak of a roofline and a cupola.  



I had arrived at Saint Michael's Ukrainian Orthodox Church...complete with bell tower.  The church is in poor condition at best and most likely won't be standing upright much longer.

Back in the car I looked at my map and realized I had driven right past the cemetery.  You know, sometimes concentrating too much on one thing makes one miss the obvious...I'm sure you know what I mean.  Such was the case so back up the road again and around that last curve was not one but two cemeteries!  



The larger of the two was Saint Michael's Ukrainian Orthodox Cemetery (which is also known as Sclater Pioneer Cemetery).  There are burials here as recent as 2018.



Just across the road is the tiny Our Lady of Snow Catholic Cemetery.  The most recent burial here was in 1989.  It was nice to see that someone still cuts the grass at both cemeteries.

My next locations were back up towards the highway but first I wanted to see the original location of Sclater.  On the way there I found another church not far from Saint Michael's Church.



This is Our Lady of Snow Catholic Church.  


The timber stretching across the width of the building is probably the only thing holding the church together.  The text translates as "Holy Mother of God Pray for Us" and is as appropriate now as it was then.

Now, down the road to Sclater.  I stopped at the crossroads were it was supposed to be, or have been, but there wasn't anything there...not even a sign.  A bit of a disappointment but so it goes...now back up to the highway for my last known location in the area.


This is Holy Eucharist Ukrainian Catholic Cemetery.  The most recent burial here was just a couple of years ago in 2020.  



It's very nicely kept with a metal sign and large steel crucifix.  (Personally, I like when the cross is painted black...makes a statement.)


Leaving the cemetery I hadn't traveled more than a few hundred feet when I saw the remains of yet another church; this time on the other side of the highway.  Some later research proved it to be Holy Eucharist Ukrainian Catholic Church.  Sadly it is on the brink of total collapse.

As it turned out there was lots to see around Sclater.  None of the churches here will last much longer but the cemeteries are in fine condition.

Then it was back on the road to continue my day's adventure...lots of history to see in Manitoba.

Made it to Dauphin just as the sun was going down.  I had phoned my motel of choice previously to reserve a room and was greeted warmly upon arrival...a home away from home.  And since I skipped lunch, supper was long overdue.  There's a great little pizza place downtown.      

Information courtesy of the Manitoba Historical Society and Find A Grave.

Photographed near Sclater, Manitoba on October 12, 2022.

6 comments:

  1. Interesting post. I lived in Manitoba for 40 years and I've never even heard of Sclater.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debra. I'm surprised it's still marked on the map.

      Delete
  2. Another great narrative. I found the structural design of the churches and bell tower unique in that they differed from what I have seen here in Alberta and in Sask.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dale. The churches are unusually tall and reminded me of the somewhat similarly tall and narrow Saint Michael's Anglican Church near Quill Lake.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you discovered lots around that area - some of it unplanned which is often the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Sclater area provided the adventure for the day. I always enjoy finding things just by chance.

      Delete