Thursday, July 22, 2021

Saint Mary's near Endeavour


Saint Mary's Ukrainian Church and Cemetary near Endeavour, Saskatchewan.


Just inside the gate.  Look at all the animal tracks in the snow. 


A side view.


The little cupola is confidently pointing straight towards heaven.


In the background surrounded by trees...
 

...is the bell tower.


A small grouping of gravestones.


The graveyard dates back over a hundred years and is still is use.


On my way back to the church I noticed that all those animal tracks lead right to this hole under the front doors...


...and then on my way back to the car was this skunk burrowing in the snow.  



I would never have known about this one if a local hadn't stopped to have a chat while I was taking photos of another church in the area.  That encounter led me to following him back to his mom's house...he was off to work but his mom and I had an amiable visit while enjoying a fresh cup of coffee accompanied by her delicious homemade oatmeal cookies.  Some history and a few laughs later I was off again, but this time with a zip-lock bag of full of those homemade cookies.  The kindness of strangers, chance encounters...I'm all for it.

Photographed on March 19, 2020.

4 comments:

  1. Contact with the local folks is almost always a real bonus. That church has been on my list for quite a while. Lots of other great sites in that area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy meeting the locals but it can take a big chunk of time out of the day if you're in a hurry. I try not to be in a rush whenever possible. Endeavour has lots of countryside treasures.

      Delete
  2. The cupola looks like a more recent addition - and the roof seems to be sagging beneath the weight of it. You certainly lucked out when you were invited to visit one of the locals - not everyone would be so comfortable having a complete stranger arrive for coffee and homemade cookies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as I know the cupola is original to the building. The metal used on many cupolas and domes ages very well, often looking "like new" compared to the weathered paint. For me, the cupola is just the perfect scale for the size of the building.

      Delete