Saturday, July 24, 2021

July 24 Part 1 - Frank and Hilma


The headstones of my paternal grandparents in the Halbrite Cemetery.


Frank Oskar was actually born in 1874 (not in 1876 as shown on the marker). 


Both he and Hilma Louise were born in Sweden and immigrated to Canada via Illinois, U.S.A.  Both were gone long before I was born.  


This looks like a wedding day photo to me...the young and hopeful Frank and Hilma Truman.

Didn't really connect with members of the Truman family...simply didn't feel part of the clan.  Not sure what to make of that.  

Headstones photographed near Halbrite, Saskatchewan on October 17, 2017.  Thank you to the unknown photographer of "Frank and Hilma."

10 comments:

  1. Very interesting. My great-grandparents Bertel and Bertha Olson immigrated to the Canwood area of SK via the USA in the late 1800's. They passed before I was born and despite the information from relatives who all think they were buried in the Concordia South cemetery I have not been able to locate their graves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe they're in the North Concordia Cemetery? Or in another cemetery altogether.

      Delete
    2. We have looked in North Concordia. There are more than 20 cemeteries in the Canwood Muni and we have looked in half of them.

      Delete
    3. Maybe the church or an historical organization in the area has the records.

      Delete
  2. Yes, that's a typical wedding photo pose of that era. My paternal grandparents' photo is the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hilma looks like a tiny little woman - just look at that waistline!! Being interested in genealogy it drives me crazy when the incorrect dates are etched into gravestones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Incorrect dates on headstones are fairly common...especially for those who immigrated here in the early days.

      Delete
    2. The tombstone of my 2xgr grandfather had him dying a year later than he actually did...he died on Dec. 31 and when the person was carving the headstone he just used the current year by accident. When my dad died, he wanted me to get the headstone recarved (it was in really bad shape) so I made sure the date was correct.

      Delete