Monday, January 25, 2021

All Hallows


All Hallows Anglican Church and Cemetery is near Peterson, Saskatchewan.


From photos I'd seen of the church I was expecting to find the building in not the best condition.  Much to my surprise, and a pleasant surprise it was, the church had recently received a fresh coat of paint and a new roof. 


A metal post and chain fence with iron gate separate the cemetery from the church grounds...


...which are surrounded on three sides by a caragana hedge with the remaining side open to the road.


The cemetery is host to a common grave of human remains from a now lost Anglican Cemetery near the town of Bruno.  Marked common graves are a rare sight in prairie cemeteries.


The waning gibbous moon can be seen about midway on the right.

Photographed on August 8, 2020.

6 comments:

  1. Didn't know about that church last time I was in the area. Common grave is pretty rare. There is a wealth of interesting places in that area. Next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only ever seen one other common grave and that was in southeastern Alberta. It was for children of the same family and hadn't been relocated like this one.

      You're right...lots to see in the area.

      Delete
  2. So wonderful to see someone (or a group) taking such good care of the church and obviously the grounds surrounding it too.
    (just as a little side note - the common grave reminded me of a local picture I saw that was taken many years ago when they moved a cemetery from one side of town to the other. There was a 'parade' down main street of caskets mounted on wagons. Not sure if it was meant to be a bona fide parade as such but it certainly looked the part!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's sounds like a well deserved funeral procession.
      I'm not a big fan of moving graves but sometimes the people in control think that it's "necessary."

      Delete
    2. I'm not in favour of it either. I should see if I can research the reason why it was done in the first place.

      Delete
    3. I suppose there can be many reasons for this happening..."progress" being the most popular.

      Delete