Wednesday, July 03, 2019

Steeples and Spires


August 8, 2018

Church steeples and spires are one of the first things I notice when out for a drive in the country.  Some can be seen from a distance of many miles, others are easy to miss if you blink.  Here are some favourites from the latter half of 2018.  About half of these were researched locations and the remainder were simply "chance encounters" from the road.

Above: Église de Sainte-Radegonde in Lafleche, Saskatchewan
The spire of the church in the distance was like an invitation to visit.


November 24, 2018
Zion Lutheran Church near Noonan, North Dakota
I've stopped here a few times over the past couple of years.  This time the spire was covered with a heavy frost.  Frost always makes things look somewhat like an illusion.


December 17, 2018
All Saints' Anglican Church in Cannington Manor, Saskatchewan
I hadn't seen the church for over forty years and it was joyous to see that it was still as beautiful as ever.  Love the steeple with its classic Celtic cross.


October 18, 2018
United Methodist Church in Chinook, Montana
The ornamental spire on this church is truly inspirational.


December 18, 2018
Bethel Lutheran Church in Battleview, North Dakota
This steeple is "just what you'd expect" and that's a compliment of the highest order.


December 14, 2018
Our Lady of Grace Catholic Church in Sedley, Saskatchewan
And this is "not what one would expect" of a spire on a church...again, that's a compliment.


October 25, 2018
Saint Andrew's United Church in Eston, Saskatchewan
This three-dimensional metal design is attractive and unusual...comes with a lightning rod.


October 21, 2018
American Lutheran Church in Turner, Montana
This is a large modern church in a small and remote town.  The tall and slender steeple can be seen for miles around.


December 14, 2018
Mission of Our Lady of La Salette in Forget, Saskatchewan
The hammer and tongs of the blacksmith become part of the design in this folded iron cross.  I really like this one!


August 10, 2018
Saint Oliver's Catholic Church in Palmer, Saskatchewan
The church is now literally in someone's backyard.  The long and narrow steeple can be seen from quite a distance.


October 23, 2018
Saint Andrew's - Trinity Anglican Church in Rosetown, Saskatchewan
The higher you go...the four sided belfry becomes an eight sided lantern which in turn becomes a gabled spire with a cross on top.  The late afternoon sunlight makes this one simply glow.

Full-feature photos of these churches will make an appearance on this blog at some point in time.

5 comments:

  1. Since I started doing this I found myself paying attention to these as well. Some are quite interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the cross and rooster. Is it perhaps the cock that crowed after Peter's 3rd denial?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never paid that much attention to church steeples but now I definitely will. I'm the one that rides along in the car, startling the daylights out of my poor long-suffering husband, when I suddenly shout 'BARN' (which in my world means a wonderful decaying specimen). Maybe I should add to the spice of life by adding 'steeple' to my shouting!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely something I always keep an eye out for. Neat collection of steeples!

    ReplyDelete