Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Lesje Church

A cold winter's day in North Dakota.  It was a few hours on the road before I reached my first planned destination of the day: Lesje Church.  I wasn't sure what to expect but was astounded by the size and overall beauty of this country church and cemetery in the proverbial "middle of nowhere."





Lesje Church could easily seat a few hundred parishioners...large and handsome with a welcome that is embracing.  

It reminded me somewhat of the church I went to as a child though on a much grander scale.  As a youngster I went to the Swedish Baptist Church in Midale, Saskatchewan where, by my early teens, had decided the motto of the church was: "you can do anything you want...as long as it's not any fun."  And so, being a teenager, I had my own ideas about things.  But you know, through all that teenage angst I never lost respect for those who felt close to the church and always wished them well and maintained a number of good friendships with both young and old parishioners.   







Several stained glass windows decorate the walls, entryway and transoms...all of which are well conceived and designed for the church.  The old-fashioned altar is beautiful and the spaciousness is grand to say the least.  

Lesje Church was built over a century ago and I can't imagine how these Norwegian settlers managed to build and decorate such a splendid country church.  But they did, and the church and grounds are still well kept and inviting to strangers like me who pass by on a cold winter's day. 


Photographed near Roth, North Dakota on December 15, 2018.

4 comments:

  1. Vivid colors....lonely settling.
    White sanctuary setting..similar to sanctuary at little Plume when I first saw it late 1960s

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David. This one is obviously well cared for and in service.

      Delete
  2. Very impressive church, both outside and in. Of course I'm enthralled with those beautiful stained glass windows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lesje Church is a "must see." Quite beautiful both inside and out...and the stained glass windows are remarkable. Thanks MA.

      Delete