Thursday, March 05, 2020

Sacred Heart Cemetery near Altario



Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Cemetery is on the outskirts of Altario, Alberta.


The cemetery is enclosed by a white-painted steel pipe fence.  There are several mature evergreen trees on the cemetery grounds as well as this tall handcrafted wooden cross.


Late fall colours come to life under the trees.


The breadth of this spruce tree has almost engulfed these wooden-cross grave markers.


Nice spot for a sit-down.

Photographed on October 22, 2019.

4 comments:

  1. Altario -- now, there's an odd name. Makes me think it's a combo of Alberta and Ontario. I wonder if the area was settled by people from Ontario?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just answered a question I had been pondering (that of wondering if it was just my imagination or if there are cemeteries that combine both crosses and granite headstones). My current landscape project might (or then again might not at this point!) feature same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen many different types of headstones all in one cemetery and rural cemeteries are the best example.

      Delete