Friday, December 08, 2023

What a Shame

Another one gone.


I just learned that the beautiful Saint Mary's Romanian Orthodox Church at Boian, Alberta burned down this past summer.  What a shame...and what a great loss to the community.  Saint Mary's will forever be missed.

The church had been blessed in 1905 making it one hundred and eighteen years old at the time of the fire.  It was an electrical problem that caused the fire.    

There are plans to rebuild.

I was fortunate to have met Father Panciuk on a visit to the church a couple of summers ago at which time he invited me in to see the interior of this lovely country church.   The links below show Saint Mary's as it was at the time of my visit:




Saint Mary's in the snow was photographed on February 26, 2022.

6 comments:

  1. How sad. It was a beautiful church. We visited it in the summer of 2014. Wasn't aware that it had burned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only recently found out about the fire a few days ago myself. Losing a beautiful church like Saint Mary's is a tragedy.

      Delete
  2. How sad, but good to know that there are plans to rebuild. I'm sure the new version won't be quite as charming as the old though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Yes it did. A vist to "the church on the hill" was always a special occasion.

      During my many visits I also enjoyed meeting some of the dedicated ones who kept Saint Mary's looking so good....bless them all.

      Delete