Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Saint Joseph's Cemetery



This was the first time I'd visited Saint Joseph's Cemetery when the grass was green.  All my previous stops here had been during late fall or winter and, for one reason or another, I was never very pleased with the photos from those occasions.  A trip to a cemetery is always appealing to me in so many ways and this time the photos were "on the mark."

This pioneer cemetery is a half mile off the main road.  Driving is not an option as there is no trail to the site so walking in is the only way to see it.  Personally, I like these locations that are "out of the way."  The walk in gives me a little time to enjoy the wide open spaces while I anticipate what's ahead.  I think there's also a bit of selfishness involved in that so few people ever get to see these places first hand.

Above is the gate sign for Saint Joseph's Cemetery.


The walk in.  The cemetery sign is visible about midway on the horizon.


A view of the cemetery from under the gate sign.


The main marker that lists those known to be buried here.  Yes, there was a church at one time.



A cast concrete headstone that is still in great condition.  I personally like these but they don't last for very long.


A marble headstone at a child's grave.  This little "lamb" marker will last for centuries.



A few shots of ornamental wrought iron and plain steel crosses with the latter marking "unknown" graves.  I love the hand made decorative crosses and the fact that someone was thoughtful enough to mark the forgotten graves.


The flower detail on the gate sign.


It was now late-morning and the temperature was rising...time to get back to the air-conditioned car.  I can't handle the heat like I used to.

Saint Joseph's Cemetery is in farming country north of Foremost, Alberta.

Photographed on May 9, 2019.

3 comments:

  1. I have read about this one. It is on my list. I should have just consulted you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forty Mile Pioneer Cemetery is just a few miles away and its a walk-in of one mile.

      Delete