Sunday, May 29, 2022

Black-tailed Prairie Dog

Late last fall in Grasslands National Park...


Not just another gopher...the black-tailed prairie dog is exclusive to this small part of the southern prairies.


They are about twice the size of a regular gopher (Richardson's Ground Squirrel) and have a distinctive black tail.


Most of the colony's members were in their burrows during my visit but this guy/girl was still active (and keeping an eye on me).  Whenever I got too close he (or she) would scoot into the burrow opening.


That looks like a nice fur coat for the winter.


The black tail blends in well with the soil.


Always fun to watch the wildlife.

Photographed near Val Marie, Saskatchewan on November 19, 2021.

6 comments:

  1. Prairie Dogs are a lot bigger and chunkier than gophers, at least the ones I've seen. Fun to watch them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice. I have been meaning to visit this place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think one would need the better part of a summer day to see all of the park. It's a big place.

      Delete
  3. Very different from what we have here...more commonly known as 'groundhogs'.

    ReplyDelete