Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Saint Mary's Romanian Orthodox Church


Many of the country roads aren't plowed in the winter so, by rule of thumb, if no one lives along a particular road it will remain impassable until late spring when it dries up.  Such was the case when I was looking for an old school near Kayville.  My planned route was under a foot of snow so I had to make a lengthy detour through the countryside to get to it.  There wasn't much to see along the way until I came to an intersection where I could just make out the image of a domed church through the blowing snow.  I had completely missed this one when researching the area so it came as a complete and pleasant surprise.

Above is a clear photo taken between wind gusts of Saint Mary's Romanian Orthodox Church.


The gate-sign at the corner of the churchyard. 


Along the side is another gate that leads to the cemetery...


...where there was plenty of loose snow blowing among the headstones.  For me, this photo of the cemetery made the day a worthwhile experience.  Comes across more like an impressionist painting than a photo.    


Looking through the cemetery gate towards the church.  On a calm day I'm sure that spruce tree beside the church is perfectly straight.


A hazy shade of winter.


Photographed near Kayville, Saskatchewan on January 26, 2022.

2 comments:

  1. The first photo is picture postcard worthy! And I agree that the cemetery photo does look like it should be a painting. I don't suppose too many artists find cemeteries to be interesting subject matter. Not everyone thinks like we do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes bad weather can lead to good things. Thanks MA.

      Delete