Saturday, November 27, 2021

Cando School


A pioneer school and teacherage near Big Stone, Alberta.     

I had found the school by chance a few years previously but failed to make note of the location so I more or less forgot about it.  Then, about three weeks ago while on a road trip in the Hanna area, I chanced upon it again.  First thing I did was mark the location on my GPS device then take some photos.


There was no sign at the school but now that I had a location I could research the area to see if I could identify it.       

According to William Peter Baergen's "Pioneering with a Piece of Chalk" this is Cando School.  


The teacherage was the former Niles School which was moved here after it closed.  


Of interest, Cando School was named after Cando, North Dakota.  Niles School was named after a homesteader who was killed by a lightning strike while unloading his earthly possessions in front of his newly built shack.


Photographed on November 7, 2021.

4 comments:

  1. Nice find. I had heard about this school but could never pinpoint the location.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With Niles School being the teacherage you get two-for -one.

      Delete
  2. The chimney must be a more modern addition - at least that's the way it appears.

    ReplyDelete