Thursday, August 27, 2020

New Home Township School



I had spent a short winter day in North Dakota in search of old Lutheran churches and cemeteries as well as pioneer schools.  On my way back to the motel in Estevan, Saskatchewan I decided to take a short detour through a previously unexplored area...and I'm glad I did.


I found this elegantly designed little schoolhouse well off the main road and at the end of a rarely used prairie trail.


I love the way the base of the bell tower gracefully curves into the roof.


Glass blocks were a fairly common feature in many of the pioneer schools in this part of North Dakota.


The tiny round window above the front door is simply but attractively decorated.


The sun will soon be off to bed.

Photographed near Corinth, North Dakota on December 18, 2018.


2 comments:

  1. A real beauty! Don't think it would be much fun having to clean those windows though. Perhaps the teacher used that chore as punishment for bad behaviour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you MA. This is one of my favourite "country schools."

      Delete