Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Ravenscrag Church



I've driven through southwest Saskatchewan on dozens of occasions but not until a recent trip did I decide to drive into the pioneer town Ravenscrag.  And I'm glad I did!


I love finding an old church in these forgotten places.  This is Ravenscrag Anglican Church and is in pretty good condition.  The inside is spartan but really quite welcoming.



Anglican churches often have interior roof trusses and this one is no exception.


This lovely stencil of grape vines is used as a wall decoration throughout the church.


I sent a few photos of the church to my friend David Carter to see if he was familiar with it.  As it turns out...this was part of his dad's parish from 1934 to 1937.  Over fifty years later David himself took a Christmas service here in 1993.
 
Photographed on June 12, 2020.

6 comments:

  1. It's got an interesting exterior texture. Shakes and logs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a wood frame building with shakes upper and narrow wooden siding lower.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful. I did drive into Ravenscrag once. For some reason I thought there was nothing worth seeing. I was wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's lots of machinery all around. I think I hit it on the rare day when nothing was parked beside the church.

      Delete
  3. This one is a beauty! It's not very often that you see a red church unless it's brick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red roofs are fairly common but not red siding. Thanks MA.

      Delete