Wednesday, January 08, 2020

Saint Leonard's Anglican Church Monument




A stone monument located at the former site of Saint Leonard's Anglican Church near Kamsack, Saskatchewan.


The plaque lists those buried here.



I found seven headstones in the brush on the north side of the plot but couldn't locate the eighth.


Several old church and cemetery sites in Saskatchewan are designated "Wildlife Tomorrow" spots and provide habitat for many of the wild animals in the area. When I stopped here yesterday I saw a ferret darting about in the brush but he was too quick for me to get a photo...maybe next time.

Photographed on January 7, 2020.

2 comments:

  1. What a great concept - to leave old cemeteries to become wildlife habitats. I suppose they have such difficulty getting caretakers so it makes sense to let the wildlife take over. It would be nice though if someone could keep the growth from actually fully taking over the tombstones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm all for using them as wildlife sanctuaries. Maintenance of some old cemeteries often relies on a volunteer who will simply "take it on."

      Delete