Sunday, January 12, 2020

Pink Violins





Saint Demetrius Ukrainian Catholic Cemetery is near Alvena, Saskatchewan.



There was a church here at one time but I couldn't find even a trace of it.  There were these splendid headstones that looked much like pink violins though.  I've only seen this style of headstone in a few cemeteries, all of which are in the surrounding area.



The "main cross" is a feature in most Catholic cemeteries.



I love the budded crosses that are so frequent in Ukrainian cemeteries.  The three discs (or circles) at the end of each arm of the cross is a representation of the Holy Trinity: God the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost.


Late afternoon and time to get back to the highway (before I get lost in the dark on the back roads).

Photographed on October 27, 2019.


6 comments:

  1. If you are ever going to get lost in Saskatchewan do it in the summer. It is too cold out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always make sure you fill up with gas when you can...just to be on the safe side.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I'd seen gray-coloured ones in nearby cemeteries but the pink-coloured ones were new to me.

      Delete
  3. I never thought of those headstones being violin shaped, but you're right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking through other photos from the same trip I discovered some larger headstones of a similar design that look like gray cellos.

      Delete