Thursday, December 19, 2019

Antonivka



I was traveling the area around Canora, Saskatchewan today.  When I reached the town of Buchanan I dropped in at the R.M. office to say hello and take a look at their map of the municipality.  While I was there I found out that one of the country churches I was interested in photographing was most likely going to be dismantled soon.

I'd never seen this little church in the country before, and chances were I'd never see it again, so I thought I'd try for some photos that would make it a memorable visit.  I planned my arrival to the church for sunset and hoped the setting sun would assist me in capturing the spirit of Antonivka.  This photo was the "one" for me.  Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Antonivka Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (1906) is near Amsterdam, Saskatchewan and is one of the oldest churches in the Ukrainian Catholic Eparchy of Saskatoon.

Photographed on December 19, 2019.

6 comments:

  1. That's a beauty of a shot. You have done the soon-to-be-gone church justice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to think churches should be allowed to age gracefully. I dislike seeing them torn down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to agree. Maybe they'll forget and just let this old beauty fade into history.

      Delete
  3. I love your photo. This church has long ago fallen into decay, like so many others across the prairies. It hurts my heart that Antonivka will be torn down (from what my Saskatchewan relatives tell me, it's been discussed for a number of years). If this is one of the oldest Ukrainian prairie churches still standing, why does someone not restore it? My grandfather was one of the settlers who contributed financially to this church, and helped to build it. I wish so much that it could be preserved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your compliment. It is much appreciated.

      If enough people in the area got together there would be a chance of restoring it.

      Delete