Saturday, August 10, 2019

Country Houses


June 2, 2017
A small collection of abandoned houses from near and far.

Above and directly below is a large abandoned house on the outskirts of Empress, Alberta.  The east side of Empress is on the Alberta/Saskatchewan border and this house lies just two hundred feet inside the Saskatchewan boundary.

June 2, 2017

July 31, 2017
A long abandoned house surrounded by golden-coloured rolling hills near Richmound, Saskatchewan.

November 30, 2016
An early winter view of a tiny abandoned house in Comrey, Alberta.  The cold and frosty morning made for a bone-chilling yet captivating view all around.

January 29, 2017
The same house as above but just two months later on a bright and sunny winter day.  The sunshine makes for a completely different take on the scene.

February 18, 2017
A big old square two storey house just east of Burstall, Saskatchewan.

When I was a kid I can remember visiting a married sister who lived in a house much like this one though in much better condition.  Her father-in-law used to grow tobacco and would hang it up in the attic to dry.  It was quite a thrill for me as a ten-year-old to go up the stairs and see the year's crop hanging from the rafters.  Her mother-in-law made batches of Belgian beer which was even more exciting.  (No smoking or drinking were allowed at my house.)  Eventually I got to sample both...and both met with my approval!

November 27, 2017

November 27, 2017
A summer home for the birds near Virgelle, Montana.  Some kind soul had created a nesting spot for osprey during their breeding season "up north."  Nice to see this.

June 18, 2017

June 18, 2017
A pastoral setting north of the Cypress Hills a little west of Eagle Butte Road.

December 15, 2018
A two-storey house with a spacious veranda near Roth, North Dakota.  For the time it was unusual to have such a large window on the second floor.

February 26, 2018
A winter view of the "spooky house" near Leader, Saskatchewan.

June 2, 2017
A storm is brewing just south of the big brick "spooky house."  It was so windy when I took this photo that it was hard to keep the camera steady.

You can see more "country houses" here: Nobody Home


5 comments:

  1. Oh wow Michael - these pretty much all make me want to create them in fabric, especially the one dated Dec 15/18. Is there any chance you would grant me permission to use it for inspiration for my work? (If you want to see what I do check out the 'landscape' heading in the sidebar on my blog - https://magpiesmumblings.blogspot.com). You can contact me at marmic1954 AT hotmail DOT com ('BW" will vouch for me as being legit!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow.That North Dakota house is something!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I was going to say the same as BW...love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to agree it's a knockout! Thanks everyone.

    ReplyDelete