Monday, May 20, 2024

Heather's Garden


Gardening has been keeping me busy; there's always lots to do in spring to get everything looking nice again.  And yesterday I finally had a chance to get out to Saint Margaret's to clean up Heather's Garden.  I wasn't sure what I'd find...last summer was one of the driest seasons on record plus there was some bitterly cold weather over the winter months. 


I wasn't expecting much (occasional pessimist that I can be) but was pleasantly surprised to find that most of the perennials had survived...and one of the prairie crocus was already in full bloom.  In a nutshell, all the really tough plants made it through some extremely harsh conditions.  Maybe one day I'll learn their innermost survival secrets but in the meantime I'll simply enjoy doing my best to take care of them.


We've been lucky this spring to have had some rain and a few showers.  So far we've already had more rain than we had all of last year.  Nice to see things turning green and flourishing.  In three weeks or so I'll plant some annuals and a few more perennials to fill in the empty spots.  I think Heather would like that.


Photographed at Saint Margaret's Church and Cemetery near Eagle Butte, Alberta on May 19, 2024.

4 comments:

  1. So glad to hear the hardy perennials survived the adverse conditions. Plants can be pretty incredible with how tenacious they can be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are definitely tough plants! They're endured awfully harsh conditions for several months. Good on 'em!

      Delete