Thursday, February 20, 2020

Saint John the Evangelist Part 2



I'd seen a few things in Fort Qu'Appelle and it was time for lunch.  I stopped at a cafe downtown and since I was starving I ordered a clubhouse sandwich with soup and fries...it was winter and I needed to keep up my strength (or so I told myself)!

My waitress was friendly so I asked if she might know someone who had a key to the "little stone church." She soon came back with the soup and a sticky note with a phone number.

After a great lunch I was back to the car.  I phoned the number and he said "be right there."

I met a man at the church a few minutes later.  As it turned out he'd been the organist at the church for seventy years...seventy years!  Wow!  I really can't imagine that to tell the truth.  He's ninety years old.

We had quite a nice chat while I shot some photos inside the church.  As mentioned in the previous post, all of the stained glass windows were donated by members of the church in 1985 on its centennial.  They really are beautiful.  Enjoy!

Above: looking towards the back of the church from the altar.








 These are the windows along the north and south sides of the church.


This is the largest of the eight windows and is the focal point of the back wall.


Looking towards the altar.

Photographed on December 16, 2019.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! That stained glass is incredible. So lucky that you were able to locate someone who could let you in (and a great story about him as well).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MA. Meeting the organist and seeing the windows was indeed a treat.

      Delete
  2. I wonder what it costs to donate a stained glass window. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete