Tuesday, March 05, 2024

Killed by Lightning

This is the Ralph Pioneer Cemetery.


I grew up not far from Ralph but never knew of this little pioneer cemetery.  Over six years ago now I was on a trip through my old stomping grounds, and with some research and knowledge under my belt, set out to experience my past in a different light.



Five headstones remain in the tall prairie grass in the long abandoned cemetery but only three are identified; from the indentations and remnants of wooden crosses I discovered while walking through the cemetery, there are several more "unknown" graves.


Bernard Halbert Engelrup
February 14, 1916 - September 2, 1917


Audrey Miller
1934 - 1937


Charles Johnson
1852 - August 18, 1905
At the age of fifty-three he was struck and killed by lightning.


Photographed near Ralph, Saskatchewan on October 17, 2017.

2 comments:

  1. Shame that so many of the graves have no markers. Don't know if I ever told you that my Dad was in demand in the surrounding old cemetaries because he could 'witch' for graves. How I wish I had inherited that ability.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Witching for graves is a talent I wish I had!

      I've seen several pioneer cemeteries where many of the graves are unmarked. They most likely had a wooden cross at one time but those don't last long. I see more and more country cemeteries now that are completely abandoned. No relatives left to take care of things.

      Delete