Tuesday, April 06, 2021

Wally


Inside Holy Ghost Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church.


Look up and...


...you will see Heaven.

Seeing the interior of the church was a stroke of good luck.  I had stopped to get a few exterior shots when I noticed someone shoveling fresh snow off the sidewalks.

We talked for a few minutes and then Wally looked at me with a smile and said, "I have a key...would you like to see inside the church?"  He saw me light up at the opportunity.


The altar behind the royal doors.


Wally wanted me to see the church as it would appear during a service so we turned on all the lights.  This is a shot of the lighted chandelier from the balcony.  When Wally was just a boy an artist came all the way from Russia to paint the interior of the church.


The exterior of the church is plain, as are many Ukrainian churches, but does have a central dome and another smaller dome over the entrance.


You can see Wally hard at work on the right hand side of the church.  I forgot to mention...he's eighty-seven years old.  He knows the meaning of commitment.


The bell is mounted on a stone cairn.


This small double gate is the formal entrance to the church  The lettering is an abbreviation of Українська греко-православна церква (Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church).

And now it's time for a break...new posts will be infrequent at best.

Photographed in Hafford, Saskatchewan on November 23, 2020.

4 comments:

  1. Gorgeous. You have quite the knack for churches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A little luck certainly helps. An incredible interior. I have found that at the odd time I have been lucky enough to get inside that the folks like Wally are appropriately proud of their churches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dale. I'm always more than pleased to see the interior of any church...Eastern European churches being my obvious favourite.

      Delete